I must say that the Pinoy Rock Scene rocked in 2009. Here are some of the highlights:
- Album releases from both indie and signed local bands such as Archipelago, The Dawn, Techyromantics, Peryodiko, Duster, Silent Sanctuary, Kjwan, Paramita, Musical O, Us-2-Evil-O and many more. Some of the must-listen to’s that I would recommend are Peryodiko, Us-2-Evil-O, Techyromantics and Archipelago.
- This was also the year of Up Dharma Down. They won multiple recognitions, including Artist and Album of the Year for the 2009 NU 107 Rock Awards. I think that they really deserve it and now is their time!
- The live Pinoy rock scene was very much alive and the biggest event is the Eraserheads Final Set Reunion gig held at the SM Mall of Asia concert grounds. The concert was attended by Eraserheads fans of all ages. The most memorable moment was where Ely Buendia burned the Stickerhappy piano and I believe ( and others too) has became part of Pinoy Rock history. He’s the only Pinoy rock icon who did that onstage!
- Another fantastic gig was Sugarfree’s Dekada concert held at the Music Museum last August. It’s rare that we see Sugarfree in this kind of setting. I loved the way they performed some of my favorite songs.
- Pinoy bands were also involved with social issue awareness especially in Philippine society. Rock Ed has played a big part in collaborating with bands so that they can help spread the message of awareness and justice. Some of Rock Ed’s events are Rock Med, Rock the Riles, One for the Roadie, The Girl Code, Rock Bosch and many others.
- Nine Inch Nails is probably the highlight among the foreign rock performers who performed here in Manila. I was lucky to have witnessed that in person! For the year 2010, The Killers and Paramore are set to rock the Manila shores.
Here are just some of the highlights that I can remember for 2009. I know there’s a lot so I’m sorry if I have left some behind. For 2010, I am hoping that it will be another rockin’ year for Pinoy rock bands and as well as the live rock scene here.